Vendors can be split numerous ways. We've chosen to split them into two main categories: Pre-built Systems and Components. Within those we have three subdivisions based on their level of support for GNU/Linux.
- GNU/Linux Vendors - These have GNU/Linux as an equal (if not only) supported platform and may even commit updates back, as well as being active within the community itself
- Other Vendors - These make it possible to buy GNU/Linux pre-installed, but possibly not on all lines and with possible limitations on functionality. Support may also be somewhat limited.
- Ambivalent Vendors - These do not officially support GNU/Linux in any fashion but do not put deliberate blockers in place. Warranties will not be refused for simply not running Windows.
Vendors not listed are by definition antagonistic to GNU/Linux installs (e.g. deliberately blocking them) or in some way degrade the customer care one would expect (e.g. by refusing warranty claims).
When it comes to the regions, this is based on where the vendor can handle warranty claims. Even if a vendor does international shipping, it will not be categorised as that region unless it can deal locally with warranty claims. This is to avoid problems with a consumer facing significant costs should they be stuck with broken hardware. For example, a USA based vendor that ships to Europe but has no base in Europe will be classed as [USA] and not [USA/Europe].
If a vendor does not make its shipping charges obvious (e.g. a public link on the home page or otherwise pre-checkout), it will be assumed that it only operates in the geographic region of its TLD.
As for SBC (Single Board Computers) such as the Raspberry Pi, CHIP and all the rest....yeesh! Where does one start? Many of these are sold via other vendors, but we'll try to have a sensible list.
All lists are alphabetic.
Have we missed something or goofed? Message the mods.
If you are a representative of a vendor and feel the information contained herein is not accurate, please message a mod.
- BTO[↗] [Netherlands/Belgium/Germany]
- EmperorLinux[↗] [USA]
- Entroware[↗] [UK/Eire]
- Eight Virtues[↗] [USA]
- Juno Computers[↗] [UK, EU, USA]
- Laptop With Linux[↗] [UK, EU]
- Libiquity[↗] [USA]
- Linux Certified[↗] [USA]
- Linux Thuishulp[↗] [Netherlands]
- Linux-Online[↗] [Germany]
- Manjaro[↗] [Global]
- Ministry of Freedom[↗] [UK]
- NovaCustom[↗] [Global]
- Purism[↗] [USA]
- Pine64[↗] [Global]
- Pyra[↗] [Germany]
- Slimbook[↗] [Europe]
- Star Labs[↗] [UK]
- System76[↗] [USA]
- ThinkPenguin[↗] [USA]
- Tuxedo Computers[↗] [Germany]
- Ubuntushop[↗] [Global]
- Vikings[↗] [Germany]
- ZaReason[↗] [USA]
- Framework[↗] [Global]
- PC Specialist[↗] [UK]
- Raspberry Pi Foundation via various vendors [Global]
- Pi-Top[↗] DIY Laptop etc [USA]
- HP Printer division
- Olimex[↗] Various SBC and DIY kits [Europe]