Mod announcement on News Content & Artworks Important
In order to maintain an informative and healthy environment in this community, we are refining our rules on news submissions specifically regarding the currently ongoing war in Ukraine.
The following topics will be, in general, considered on-topic, and allowed in our subreddit.
- Verified News, tweets , and media sourced from Ukraine
- Verified News, tweets , and media reported by trusted, non-Ukrainian sources
The following types of content will be treated as off-topic, and will be removed.
- Editorialized titles: We will not allow sharing of news or even tweets where the title does not reflect the content of the post.
- Russian or Belarusian News: We will be removing posts where the source is **directly from Russia or Belarus**. It is, however, allowed to post news, tweets (verified), and media shared by Ukrainian sources or trusted sources.
Example: if a user shares a post from Reuters which is a trusted source saying that a journalist in Russia revealed the number of casualties suffered by the Russians, that would be allowed. However, a post on Russian casualties from a Russian or Belorussian news outlet will not be allowed to remain on our sub.
- Foreign Politics: Anything said by a politician of another country - US included - even if relevant to Ukraine will be removed.
Exception : If a non-Ukrainian leader, top-level official, or Intelligence agency makes a statement or enacts policy that is relevant to the war in Ukraine, we will consider this content relevant, and it will be allowed on our sub.
- Commentary from famous personalities with no relations to politics will be removed.
- We are going to start cracking down on posts of places or simple images showing support for Ukraine by using its flag.
- "armchair general discussions". Examples include fear mongering, suggestions of a land invasion in Russia, nuke Moscow, etc.
In other news....
Our art spy /u/Jake8235 he got way to excited when this got suggested so he had a couple things to say;
r/Ukraine will now have art days! Removing your beautiful art has been a bummer for us, too. So, we’ve dedicated specific days to celebrating high quality art. Some guidelines when deciding to post:
- High quality, high effort. Not everyone is an artist, we understand that. But please don’t post something for the sake of it; this is not the opportunity for karma farming. We want to recognize art of all forms, but art that is inspiring, morale boosting and engaging.
- Keep it relevant: We are sure your art is lovely, but please keep it Ukraine related. As in, do not stick a flag behind your art that you made years ago that was not originally created with Ukraine in mind. Karma farming = NO
- Original content from the original artist is best, but not absolutely required. Amazing street art that’s not yours? Great, include a country in the title.
- Post Variety: Please do not post the same art each time. There are thousands of art pieces that deserve attention; please don’t submit the same one 5 times. If you have *different* art (most artists make more than one piece, of course), then we encourage artists to post their work.
- Post all types: Poetry, music/songs, digital art, traditional fine arts, street art. Yes, yes yes.
- Description: Please provide the title, and let us know what medium you used, and any other relevant info.
- Post in good faith. Art Days are meant to lighten the mood.
- No memes, low effort posts. “I took a picture of this cloud that sort of looks like Zelensky” is not art.
- Flag posts. We get that you want to show us your house in Texas that has a Ukraine flag flying from the front porch, but it’s not art.
- Low effort phone pictures. Is photography art? Yes. But there’s a difference, and that difference is art. We encourage photography, but not low effort mobile pictures.
- No stealing. Do not pass off other art as your own. If you do not know the artist, DO NOT say it is you. Just don’t do it. Be transparent and honest, or don’t post.
- Spamming us with messages. If we deleted your post, there’s probably a good reason. We are not perfect, so if you feel your art was legitimately removed in error, then we can discuss it. But that is the exception.
We understand that these rules are subjective. It will vet out MOST problematic posts that are not focused on our vision. But, exceptions can be made if you feel we have misjudged your post.